Every Classroom Matters Episode 193
How should we be talking to children about terrorism? Did you know children under six shouldn’t be watching the news? Do you know the biggest worries of high schoolers when they hear of terrorism? Child trauma expert Dr. Steven Berkowitz helps parents and teachers understand how we talk to kids of various ages about terrorism.
Now is the time to listen to and share this show before Thanksgiving family dinner conversations.
Important Takeways: What the Experts Say About Talking to Children About Terrorism
- Recommendations for watching the news with children
- The biggest worries of high schoolers and how to talk to them
- What to say when kids ask “Will this happen to me?”
- How the news can cause trauma in children
- How teachers can help children through tough times
Dr. Berkowitz is a widely quoted expert in child trauma. His advice is simple but important for all teachers to understand right now. What you say to kids matters, especially when they are upset.
Educator Resources and Links from the Show
Great quotes from the show you can share…
The post WHAT THE EXPERTS SAY about Talking to Children About Terrorism appeared first on Cool Cat Teacher Blog by Vicki Davis @coolcatteacher helping educators be excellent every day. Meow!
from Cool Cat Teacher Blog